People are always on the lookout for a discount, voucher, or exclusive deal. And, it is no different when it comes to those visiting your online shop. In fact, the stigma that coupons are only for stay-at-home moms with tons of time on their hands, poor people looking to save a buck, or the elderly grandma that wants to save a few cents on a loaf of bread are wrong.
Because the opportunity of saving a few bucks could lead to more sales, implementing one or multiple WordPress coupon plugins could be a game-changer for your online business.
💰 Discounts are popular amongst all demographics – including the affluent and millennials. #WordPress Click To Tweet And, since coupons are still a driving force behind consumer loyalty, it is important that you implement this strategy into your eCommerce shop and provide your customers just what they want – a way to save money.
After all, saving money is fun!
Providing coupons and vouchers to your site visitors is a great way to boost user engagement, solidify loyalty among return customers, and entice new visitors to try you out, all in hopes of converting and retaining them as regulars. That's why we're reviewing some of the best WordPress coupon plugins to help you find one that fits perfectly into your current set up.
Why Give Away Coupons on Your WordPress Website?
If you cannot fathom why your site visitors may be interested in using coupons (which would be strange because everyone likes to save money), check out these statistics for a better understanding:
- 96% of all consumers will use a coupon if they have one
- 49% of customers are looking for ways to continue buying, but at discount rates
- 79% of all Gen Zers and Millennials seek loyalty or discount programs with their favorite brands
- 85% of customers look for a coupon before visiting a retailer
- 52% of the adult population will utilize an online coupon at some point this year
If that doesn’t strike your fancy, I am not sure what will. These statistics clearly show that people are looking to buy, but they are seeking ways to spend wisely. Who doesn't want to save a little extra cash?
And, one of the best ways to help people feel good about saving some extra dough is to let them use a coupon.
With the economy continuing to struggle, and people continuing to try to make ends meet, it is important as the owner of an eCommerce shop to think in terms of long-term customer acquisition, satisfaction, and loyalty.
That’s why today we are going to take a look at some of the market’s best voucher plugins for WordPress that won't affect your site's speed, so you can jump right in and start offering your site visitors a special deal they won’t be able to turn down.
Free WordPress Security eBook
[4 Pages] The 21-Step Checklist to
Ensure a 99.9% Secure WordPress Website
The Best Free and Premium WordPress Coupon Plugins
1. Woocommerce Discount Rules by Flycart
WooCommerce Discount Rules enables you to run simple to complex promotions like bulk discounts, Buy 1 get 1 free offers, user role based discounts, conditional discounts based on categories, products, variants, attributes, cart contents, order total and purchase history.
Unlike others, this plugin lets you automatically apply the discount when the customers meet a set of rules/criteria. For example, you can offer a 10% discount for purchase of 5 quantities and above. So the discount applies automatically when the customer adds 5 quantities to the cart without needing to applying a voucher.
However, you also have the option of making a discount rule to work when a specific voucher is applied.
A great advantage of this plugin is that it lets you create the discount rules in three simple steps and uses a wizard like interface. And the plugin lets the customers see the available discounts right on the product page and also in the cart page.
Additional features include:
- Dependent product discount (Buy Product A and get discount in Product B)
- Buy One Get One Free offers with support for both Buy X Get X and also Buy X and Get Y
- Attributes based discount
- Free shipping based on conditions like sub-total, quantities ordered, purchase history, delivery location et
- Cart total / line items based discounts
Discounts based on the purchase history of the customers (If customer purchased Shoes earlier, give him 10% discount on purchase of Caps)
- You can even apply multiple discount rules in a purchase (Get 5% for order above $500 and 10 % for buying more than 6 items)
- Option to exclude products on SALE and selected products from discount rules
- Great for offering dynamic pricing and discounts based on quantity ranges
There's also a free version if you don't need all the advanced functionality.
2. YITH WooCommerce Gift Cards
YITH WooCommerce Gift Cards enables you to offer website visitors the chance to purchase gift cards to your WooCommerce store for later use. After making a purchase, your site visitor will receive a customized gift card via email, complete with a discount code. This is all in hopes your visitor will send this gift card to a new, potential consumer who will make a purchase and become a loyal follower.
This advanced premium version offering lots of helpful features. For example, create physical and digital gift cards, allow customers to set gift card amounts, directly send gift cards to recipients, and even give customers the chance to create a customized message on the gift card they are sending to their loved one.
Additional features include:
- Define gift card amounts
- Automatic email to the buyer once gift card is purchased
- Gift card credit updates after each use
- Translation ready
- Increase sales and bring in new customers
There's also a free basic version if you need something functional with less capabilities!
3. Code Shop for WordPress
Code Shop for WordPress is a powerful WordPress coupon plugin that allows you to sell coupons, vouchers, and licenses directly on your website. It links seamlessly with payment gateways such as PayPal, Authorize.Net, and Stripe, and inserts easily into any WordPress page using a shortcode. In addition, it accepts bitcoins using Blockchain.info API.
As an easy way to monetize your current website, Code Shop for WordPress allows for unlimited campaigns, has fixed price support, delivers coupons, vouchers, or license codes via email, and translates into many languages for reaching a global audience and generating more revenue.
Additional features include:
- Supports multiple currencies
- Accept major credit/debit cards
- Flexible price support for visitors to set own price
- Distribute free coupons and vouchers
- Insert any HTML content inside payment box
4. WooCommerce Volume Discount Coupons
WooCommerce Volume Discount Coupons is another WooCommerce extension for providing automatic discounts and coupons to site visitors based on the number of products they have in their cart. In addition, to aid in making sure your customers see the available discounts, this plugin shows discounts directly on products in the checkout section for customers to visually see their savings.
Set discounts and coupons to appear based on minimum or maximum purchase amounts. In addition, apply coupons to specific categories of products as well to boost purchases. Altogether, all you have to do is insert a simple shortcode and watch your customized discounts appear.
Additional features include:
- Create coupons and vouchers in WooCommerce
- Choose exactly where to display voucher information
- Render discounts automatically
- Great for bulk buying of products and services
- Inline styles allow for quick customizations
5. Ninja Popups
Ninja Popups is a unique popup system that allows you to add vouchers to the popups that display to site visitors. For example, create your voucher popup using the exclusive drag-and-drop visual editor, and even take advantage of over 60 new popup themes for added inspiration and creativity. More so, there are 8 option panels to pick from and 74 animation effects. Your site visitors are sure to be impressed when they see what you have to offer and how you go about doing it.
This plugin is responsive and mobile-friendly, can be translated using the WPML translation plugin, integrates with popular email service providers if you choose to capture emails in exchange for a discount, and even comes with advanced statistics regarding hits and conversions. Plus, you can integrate your favorite social media networks – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, and Pinterest – to encourage social activity. In all, Ninja Popups is not specifically designed as a WordPress coupon plugin, but thanks to its versatility, it can be used for that purpose, and so much more, making it well-worth its affordable premium price.
Additional features include:
- A/B testing
- Exit-intent technology
- Unlimited popup creation
- Multi-use of popups – coupons, subscribes, etc.
- Page level targeting
6. WooCommerce Ultimate Points and Rewards
WooCommerce Ultimate Points and Rewards is a complete solution for rewarding customers on your online store. Users get points for store activities like sign-up, referral points, product review points, etc. These points can be converted to vouchers by users and used to buy products from the store.
Highlight features of this plugin are:
- Sign Up Points are given to the users as soon as they register on your website and you can set the points limit for that.
- Referral points are given to the users who refer other customers to your store. Comment points are allotted when someone comments on your website page.
- You can assign points for individual products and for product categories.
- You can allow users to share their points with others, manually add/deduct points from a customer’s account.
- Customers can purchase products through points. If a customer has some points less than the required no. of points needed for the purchase, he/she can pay the rest amount via other methods.
- Admin can set the expiration date/period for points and manage manually.
- User can generate coupons by converting their total points to a coupon and use these coupons as a normal WooCommerce coupon. Admin can set the minimum number of points required to generate the coupon.
Admin can create different membership levels like Gold, Silver, Platinum, etc. with some points threshold to attain that level.
- Users can share their referral links via social media platforms.
The plugin has a plethora of useful features and the above are just a part of it. You can acquire new customers, make old customers more loyal, boost your referral marketing, and increase product reviews on your store with the help of this extension.
7. Smart Coupon for WooCommerce
Smart Coupon for WooCommerce by WebToffee is a WooCommerce extension that provides additional sought-after features to the default WooCommerce Coupon and improves its functionality. The plugin extending the WooCommerce Coupons functionalities provides a wide range of possibilities that the store owners and customers can take benefit of.
These features are listed below:
- Restricting the coupons with various checkout options. Which means these coupons can be applied if they meet certain criteria. The restriction to coupons can be applied based on shipping methods, payment methods used by the customer, based on user roles, and based on the location of the shipping or billing address.
- The plugin can help create multiple giveaway products in a single coupon. On applying the giveaway coupon, the customer, on checkout, can choose any one of the giveaway products included in the coupon.
- It allows you to bulk generate coupons, that can be added directly in the store, exported to a CSV, or mailed to the customer’s email ID.
- The plugin gives the store owners the option to import the coupons in a store to a CSV file.
- Using the Gift Coupons feature the customers can be gifted discount coupons when they make a purchase at the store. The customer will have the choice to email the gift coupon to their friends/family.
- It allows giving users provision to purchase store credit, which they can use for themselves, or gift to their friends.
- Using this plugin the store owner can also determine the combination of the coupons that can be applied in a purchase.
8. WP Coupons and Deals
This plugin makes it simple to add any voucher or discount to individual WordPress posts or pages. Unlike some other deal plugins, this one is targeted specifically to affiliate marketers in that it's designed to help with creating affiliate vouchers and promoting affiliate deals. It also protects your affiliate sales by ensuring visitors click on your affiliate link.
The premium version of WP Coupons and Deals comes with 8 templates and various advanced features including:
- The ability to hide coupons to protect sales
- Printable image coupons
- A click to copy feature
- Responsive design
- Expiration dates
The premium version costs $29.99 per year for a single site license.
There is a free version of the plugin available as well with fewer features available for download from WordPress.org.
9. Coupon Creator
Coupon Creator is an easy to use WordPress plugin that utilizes a coupon custom post type with a few simple settings to configure. From there, all you have to do is generate a coupon shortcode using the WordPress editor shortcode inserter and place the coupon on any post or page you want. Coupons will display until the defined expiration date, less you choose to ignore an expiration and let the coupon fail to expire.
With Coupon Creator you can also create and display WooCommerce specific coupons, take advantage of the quick and bulk expiration date functionality, enable a Print View for customers who wish to print and use your coupon in person, and even set a coupon counter so a particular coupon can only be used a specific number of times before expiring.
Additional features include:
- Reveal code feature
- Customizations for unique coupon designs
- Advanced search function
- Column and row capability for multiple coupons
- Easily add Google Analytics to the Print Template
10. Social Offers
Social Offers is a social WordPress coupon plugin that displays incentives like PDF’s, music, templates, vouchers, or files as rewards for specific social actions taken by your site visitors. This offers website owners an excellent opportunity to build their Facebook and Twitter audiences while expanding their brand to new customer bases.
This plugin also supports additional premium apps such an email list builder for increasing subscribers, a Live Chat function with Slack for aiding customers with questions and concerns, and it even comes with a Conversion Popup with each account. Lastly, you can offer recurring or one-time use offers, create custom targeting rules, and receive unlimited conversions.
Additional features include:
- Automatic popup feature with exit intent technology
- Customizable background images and offer details
- Custom logo and branding support
- Integration with major eCommerce platforms – Shopify, Bigcommerce, and Magento
- Works with all major email service providers
Tips for Offering Coupons on Your Website
Now that you have a solid foundation of WordPress coupon plugins to take advantage of, let’s take a quick look at some ways you can help guarantee your coupon methods will work with your customers.
Make Products Easy to Find
There is nothing worse than having an awesome coupon for a product that is impossible to find on your website. This will turn even a loyal customer away from your website and into the hands of a competitor if you are not careful. If you are offering a deal on a specific product or service, guide all site visitors directly to it to boost the chances they will finalize a purchase.
Bring the Coupon to Them
Don’t make site visitors hunt around on your website looking for special deals. Make sure any discounts, coupons, or sales you are currently running are readily visible once the visitor clicks on your website. Making sure special offers are front-and-center when a visitor lands on your site will spike their interest right away and keep them looking for more.
Make it Relevant
If possible, present coupons to your customers that are relevant to what they are purchasing right now. This includes items that complement already purchased items, or items that are currently in a shopping cart. In addition, you can offer future discounts on an already purchased item to be used on their next visit. Lastly, make suggestions as customers browse your online store, offering coupons related to the contents of the page they are currently visiting.
The coupons you offer customers are an extension of your brand. Make sure you use strong copy so that customers feel like they are getting a once in a lifetime deal. Offer first-time shopper deals and return customer discounts. In addition, consider offering referral traffic coupons for those coming from a certain referrer such as Facebook or Twitter.
Don’t Overdo It
Make sure you don’t overload site visitors with deals and vouchers. This takes away the surprise and makes them feel as though your deals aren’t really all that exclusive. Another thing that helps is varying the design and messaging so every time a loyal customer visits you, they see a fresh new deal waiting for them.
Make a Deal
Although some may disagree, there is still some credibility to making a deal with your site visitors when it comes to redeeming coupons. Asking for an email address in return for a special discount is something a lot of customers are willing to do. And, with cart abandonment rates at staggering levels, having this email on hand for later marketing efforts is your golden ticket to re-engaging a customer that left without purchasing anything. Just make sure you do what you can to maintain site security and to protect your visitor's information, too.
As you can see, offering your site visitors a voucher is not as simple as having them enter a discount code and securing a sale. And, as with all things business related, it takes a certain finesse to acquire, engage, and retain customers sorting through what you have to offer.
Altogether, if you are looking for an exceptional way to engage potential customers and encourage them to buy from you after make a WordPress site, consider using one of the above-mentioned coupon plugins for WordPress. Not only will you excite those that return time and again to buy your amazing products or services, you will garner new traffic and consumers because, well, everyone likes a deal.
Want to give your feedback or join the conversation? Add your comments 🐦 on Twitter.