Head of growth
Position Status: Open
Refer someone to this position and earn a $1,000 finders fee!
These are woven into the DNA of every Buff.
These 3 qualities are highly correlated with to success here.
Our team knows that we don’t know everything. When you come on board with WP Buffs, we expect you to admit when you make errors, ask when you don’t know the answer and always tell the truth.
We want to be the very best technical support partner for any individual, business or organization with a WordPress website. That means going above and beyond for our customers is the norm.
We’re a talented bunch who all know how to navigate any WordPress dashboard and hosting provider. Diving into technical work, improving internal systems and finding innovative solutions excites you.
Our North Star, practiced and pursued daily.
If self-improvement excites you, you've come to the right place.
Practice radical transparency
You’re unapologetically yourself and honest, maybe to a fault. You give honest and sincere feedback and love when people are honest with you, whether it’s an easy or difficult conversation.
Make decisions and own them
When decisions are made, you are all in. Nothing will keep you from accomplishing your individual and team goals. Furthermore, you make them your personal mission because it’s the right thing to do.
Take customer-focused action
Every decision or action we take as a team has our customers and partners in mind. Our goal is to help them accomplish theirs, so living and dying by our customers’ success is a requirement.
Exceptional results, on-time
We take everything to the next level. Average and late work won’t be tolerated here. If doing big things and racing to the finish line gets you pumped up, you’re in the right place.
Lead by example
Nobody at WP Buffs sits on their high horse and expects others to do the work. We all get our hands dirty and no matter your position, you’ll be instrumental in the work we do.
Always have each others' backs
We’re a family here at WP Buffs and that means creating an environment of trust. Have the backs of your fellow Buffs and they’ll have yours. Together, we’ll win the day. It’s just that easy.
Being a great fit here is just as much about you as it is us.
Folks with these qualities make great Buffs. Those without them don't.
You've worked remotely
You’ve done remote work before and teamed up with a distributed team.
You're a self-starter
You don’t need permission to get work done. You choose action over inactivity.
You can follow detailed instructions
Much of our work is systematized. Reading and following directions is a strength.
Being polite, smiling and laughing are important parts of your day.
You want to improve
Making yourself a little bit better each and every day is what drives you.
You don’t need anybody micromanaging the quality of your work because you are your own hardest critic.
When a teammate hails you on livechat, you always answer. Because good communication is important.
You do what you say you will and you’ll work hard to make sure everybody on the team knows that.
You love feedback
You’re comfortable receiving feedback and will use it to fuel your improvement.
We measure success with data. You’re always motivated to improve the numbers.
When a teammate needs help with something, you’re the first person to jump in and help out.
You like gifs & emojis
These are pretty big staples of our internal team chat. Yep – we can get pretty goofy.
With most remote jobs, working remotely is the only plus. Not here.
Yes, you'll be working hard. And that means you'll be well taken care of.
Take time off when you need it. We work very hard but prioritize the health of our employees.
You can work from anywhere as long as you have a strong, secure internet connection.
We all receive funds to travel to WordCamps, conferences or work with fellow Buffs.
Flexible work schedule
As long as you work full hours and it’s done well and on-time, you work when you want.
We pay for gym memberships and fitness classes so you can stay healthy and balanced.
We pay for any book or audiobook you buy, whether it’s fiction or nonfiction.
Equipment & technology budget
We’ll buy you a standing desk, headphones and any other technology you need.
Professional development budget
All the Buffs want to level up their skills, so we provide professional development opportunities.
3 months of parental leave
Whether you’re going to be a new mom or dad, take 12 weeks paid time off with your new little one.
Full benefits coverage
Healthcare, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability & life insurance. Buffs outside the US are also covered.
Coming soon. Save for retirement and we’ll match up to 4% so you can feel comfortable with your future.
Want to work in a co-working space? We’ll cover the costs so you can work where you want.
Rochester, New York
Washington, DC, USA
About the Head of Growth position
WP Buffs is the very best 24/7 technical support partner for any individual, business or organization with a WordPress website. Building strong and long-lasting relationships with our customers is our highest priority. We're looking to create a team who are obsessed with making customers and partners happy, being a core member of an ambitious team and creating a digital world filled with magnificent WordPress websites. If this sounds like you, read on!
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to fully learn, internalize and execute our marketing and sales funnels and help drive WP Buffs growth above and beyond $200K MRR.
This position is for a driven, hungry and capable digital marketer. You'll start off executing the growth vision of our CEO, Joe, a seasoned digital marketer. This will allow you to achieve full mastery over multiple marketing pieces of software and develop a full grasp on our marketing and sales stacks.
When you've shown you can execute relentlessly on the marketing and sales processes detailed below, you'll have the opportunity to make bigger, bolder decisions when it comes to strategy and direction.
You'll learn the ins and outs of essential marketing and sales software like HubSpot, ConvertKit, RightMessage, Buffer, HotJar, Ahrefs and email collection software like Convert Pro. We need a marketer who can tackle data-driven and technical challenges as well as work alongside the rest of the marketing and sales teams to overcome them.
- 1+ year(s) of digital marketing experience (or training through programs like General Assembly, etc)
- Basic knowledge on traffic generation through inbound marketing
- Basic WordPress dashboard experience
- Basic email collection understanding
- Willingness to do educational video calls with potential customers
- Ability to manage (and eventually develop) partnerships via relationship building in and outside of the WordPress community
- Solid English copywriting skills
If you're confident in your baseline marketing skills and can bring this experience to the table, you'll fit well into our already talented team!
Through your initial training and eventual move into leading our growth team, you and Joe are fully responsible for making sure our team achieves the following outcomes within your first year.
- 2x blog traffic through managing content, guiding new content strategy, managing SEO team and writers, etc.
- 2x lead generation through smarter audience targeting, improved copywriting, heavy A/B testing and experimentation, building new partnerships with other WordPress companies, etc.
- 2x sales results (MRR added). This includes handling video sales calls, A/B testing sales emails, etc.
- 2x the size of our email list through heavy A/B testing and experimentation of email collection on the website, unsubscribe rate optimization, etc.
- Manage small growth team (guest writers, SEO support staff, design freelancers, affiliate managers, etc) to achieve high performance and hit required results.
- Be an active participant in the company culture by being present, communicating with the team in Slack throughout the day, living and breathing our team values and diving head-first into the WordPress community.
If this sounds like your cup of tea, you might be a good fit on our team!
It's not just foundational marketing, sales and growth skills you need to be a Buff. It's the right attitude with which you come to work with every day.
- Practice radical transparency
- Make decisions and own them
- Take customer-focused action
- Deliver exceptional results on-time
- Double check all work for completeness and correctness
- Lead by example
- Always have the backs of other Buffs
- Work full days during your shift
If you're confident you can live and breath these values, you'll be a good fit for our team!
You can read about all the tools we use here at WP Buffs. You may not have to be able to use all of them, but you should already know or be prepared to learn to use any tools required for your position: The SaaS Tools We Use to Run WP Buffs
Salary for this position is completely dependent on your experience, location, technical skills, how well you can help us tackle the outcomes for this position and the competencies you can display as a member of this team. This is something we're happy to discuss once you've gotten further along in the application process.
WP Buffs is a revenue-funded business, meaning we have to be selective with our spending. We cannot afford exorbitant salaries like massive, funded companies can. If you're looking for a big payday or a salary commensurate with a $100M+ company, you probably shouldn't apply because you'll be disappointed with our offer from a financial perspective. But if working remotely, joining a fantastic team, working on fun, challenging WordPress problems and coming to a place where you rate of learning will increase exponentially all gets your blood pumping, we'd love you to apply.
At WP Buffs, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. WP Buffs is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs.
While this all sounds good, WP Buffs is run by humans. Sometimes biases are unconscious and hidden. Diversity programs and training might not work as expected. And good intentions are often inadequate. That's why we're always working to improve in this area and welcome an open dialogue. Email us anytime at firstname.lastname@example.org to help us be a better equal opportunity employer.
If you're confident you can excel in this position, follow these instructions!
Note: We're looking for an individual or freelancer for this position, not an agency!
Email us the following answers at email@example.com.
Use the subject line: Head of growth: Your Full Name
- Who are you?
- What's your favorite post from the WP Buffs blog and why?
- What was your last big adventure?
- What's your next big adventure?
- Where in the world are you?
- Did you first find this job posting on wpbuffs.com or an external site? If the latter, which website?
- Did someone suggest you should apply for this position? If so, what's that person's name and email address? They'll earn a $1,000 finders fee!
- What experience do you have in the WordPress community?
- Tell us a story of something you've grown outside of your professional life. This can come from your personal life!
- How would you rate your comfort and skills with the following on a scale of: None, Not strong, Strong or Very strong
- Inbound marketing
- Content management with WordPress
- Email collection
- A/B testing
- Email marketing
- People management
- Video sales calls
- HubSpot sales CRM
- We've listed outcomes above that we'll expect our Head of Growth to accomplish in their first year at WP Buffs. For each one, please describe in-detail a specific project you worked on that shows us you're going to rock that outcome for us. Bonus points for showing us data that proves the success of the project beyond anecdotal evidence (numbers, data, screenshots, etc). SUPER bonus points for recording a video (using something like Loom) to discuss this in detail.
- What's your preferred salary / hourly rate?