Editor in Chief
Full time / part time
Position Status: Open
Refer someone to this position and earn a $1,000 finders fee!
These are woven into the DNA of every Buff.
These 3 qualities are highly correlated with to success here.
Our team knows that we don’t know everything. When you come on board with WP Buffs, we expect you to admit when you make errors, ask when you don’t know the answer and always tell the truth.
We want to be the very best technical support partner for any individual, business or organization with a WordPress website. That means going above and beyond for our customers is the norm.
We’re a talented bunch who all know how to navigate any WordPress dashboard and hosting provider. Diving into technical work, improving internal systems and finding innovative solutions excites you.
Our North Star, practiced and pursued daily.
If self-improvement excites you, you've come to the right place.
Practice radical transparency
You’re unapologetically yourself and honest, maybe to a fault. You give honest and sincere feedback and love when people are honest with you, whether it’s an easy or difficult conversation.
Make decisions and own them
When decisions are made, you are all in. Nothing will keep you from accomplishing your individual and team goals. Furthermore, you make them your personal mission because it’s the right thing to do.
Take customer-focused action
Every decision or action we take as a team has our customers and partners in mind. Our goal is to help them accomplish theirs, so living and dying by our customers’ success is a requirement.
Exceptional results, on-time
We take everything to the next level. Average and late work won’t be tolerated here. If doing big things and racing to the finish line gets you pumped up, you’re in the right place.
Lead by example
Nobody at WP Buffs sits on their high horse and expects others to do the work. We all get our hands dirty and no matter your position, you’ll be instrumental in the work we do.
Always have each others' backs
We’re a family here at WP Buffs and that means creating an environment of trust. Have the backs of your fellow Buffs and they’ll have yours. Together, we’ll win the day. It’s just that easy.
Being a great fit here is just as much about you as it is us.
Folks with these qualities make great Buffs. Those without them don't.
You've worked remotely
You’ve done remote work before and teamed up with a distributed team.
You're a self-starter
You don’t need permission to get work done. You choose action over inactivity.
You can follow detailed instructions
Much of our work is systematized. Reading and following directions is a strength.
Being polite, smiling and laughing are important parts of your day.
You want to improve
Making yourself a little bit better each and every day is what drives you.
You don’t need anybody micromanaging the quality of your work because you are your own hardest critic.
When a teammate hails you on livechat, you always answer. Because good communication is important.
You do what you say you will and you’ll work hard to make sure everybody on the team knows that.
You love feedback
You’re comfortable receiving feedback and will use it to fuel your improvement.
We measure success with data. You’re always motivated to improve the numbers.
When a teammate needs help with something, you’re the first person to jump in and help out.
You like gifs & emojis
These are pretty big staples of our internal team chat. Yep – we can get pretty goofy.
With most remote jobs, working remotely is the only plus. Not here.
Yes, you'll be working hard. And that means you'll be well taken care of.
Take time off when you need it. We work very hard but prioritize the health of our employees.
You can work from anywhere as long as you have a strong, secure internet connection.
We all receive funds to travel to WordCamps, conferences or work with fellow Buffs.
Flexible work schedule
As long as you work full hours and it’s done well and on-time, you work when you want. Parent, carer, or religious leave is valued.
We pay for gym memberships and fitness classes so you can stay healthy and balanced.
We pay for any book or audiobook you buy, whether it’s fiction or nonfiction.
Equipment & technology budget
We’ll buy you a standing desk, headphones and any other technology you need.
Professional development budget
All the Buffs want to level up their skills, so we provide professional development opportunities.
3 months of parental leave
If you’re planning on growing your family, take 12 weeks paid time off with your new little one.
Full benefits coverage
Healthcare, dental, vision, short- and long-term disability & life insurance. Buffs all over the world are covered.
Coming soon. Save for retirement and we’ll match up to 4% so you can feel comfortable with your future.
Want to work in a co-working space? We’ll cover the costs so your can work where you want.
Washington, DC, USA
👩💻👨💻 About the Editor in Chief position
WP Buffs is the very best 24/7 technical support partner for any individual, business or organization with a WordPress website. Building strong and long-lasting relationships with our customers is our highest priority. We're looking to add driven people to our team who are obsessed with making customers and partners happy, being a core member of an ambitious team and a creating a digital world filled with magnificent WordPress websites. If this sounds like you, read on!
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to make our WordPress blog the very best in the WP space and turn all our readers into raving WP Buffs fans!
You don't need to be highly technical with 20 years of dev experience for this role. But you do need to know enough WordPress to manage all the Elementor content on wpbuffs.com as well as a team of writers, SEOs, designers, etc to do the same.
You also need to love solving complex content challenges to help our readers get the absolute most out of every piece of content we deliver to them.
HTML, CSS and technical experience is good, although not required. What's most important is a strong enough background in the WordPress dashboard and Elementor to make our content shine.
Full product training is provided to the right candidate to ensure success!
- WordPress dashboard experience
- WordPress community experience
- Elementor experience
- Experience running SEO campaigns and driving Google traffic to website(s)
- Ability to manage small team of writers, SEOs, designers, etc
- Solid understanding of pain points of WordPress users, agencies, freelancers and web professionals
- Proven track record of managing WordPress content
- Fluent English written and verbal communication
- Basic HTML
- Basic CSS
- Conversion optimization (to drive traffic, collect email addresses, generate leads, etc)
- Bilingual communication is a plus!
If you're confident in your WordPress content skills and can hold your own, you'll fit well into our already talented team!
As the head of our content team, you are fully responsible for making sure our team achieves the following outcomes.
- Transition all existing blog content from Classic Editor to Elementor with help from our WordPress engineers.
- Increase blog traffic on a quarterly basis by experimenting with strategic content revamps, guiding new content strategy, managing SEO team and writers, etc.
- Increase lead generation (from organic search) on a quarterly basis by experimenting with smarter audience targeting, strategic in-content click-through opportunities, heavy A/B testing, content partnerships with other WordPress companies & blogs, etc.
- Increase the size of our email list on a quarterly basis by experimenting with smarter audience targeting, new lead magnets, strategic in-content click-through opportunities, heavy A/B testing, etc.
- Completely systemize and document all content-related processes to drastically improve efficiencies across our content team.
- Be an active participant in the company culture by being present and communicating with the team in Slack throughout the day.
If this sounds like your cup of tea, you might be a good fit on our team!
It's not just customer success skills you need to be a Buff. It's the right attitude with which you come to work with every day.
- Practice radical transparency
- Make decisions and own them
- Take customer-focused action
- Deliver exceptional results on-time
- Double check all work for completeness and correctness
- Lead by example
- Always have the backs of other Buffs
If you're confident you can live and breath these values, you'll be a good fit for our team!
You can read about all the tools we use here at WP Buffs. You may not have to be able to use all of them, but you should already know or be prepared to learn to use any tools required for your position: The SaaS Tools We Use to Run WP Buffs
Salary for this position is negotiable and completely dependent on your experience, location, technical skills, how well you can help us tackle the outcomes for this position and the competencies you can display as a member of this team. This is something we're happy to discuss once you've gotten further along in the application process.
WP Buffs is a revenue-funded business, meaning we have to be selective with our spending. We cannot afford exorbitant salaries like massive, funded companies can. If you're looking for a big payday or a salary commensurate with a $100M+ company, you probably shouldn't apply because you'll be disappointed with our offer from a financial perspective. But if working remotely, joining a fantastic team, working on fun, challenging WordPress problems and coming to a place where you rate of learning will increase exponentially all gets your blood pumping, we'd love you to apply.
At WP Buffs, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, our products, and our community. WP Buffs is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
All aspects of employment including the decision to hire, promote, discipline, or discharge, will be based on merit, competence, performance, and business needs.
While this all sounds good, WP Buffs is run by humans. Sometimes biases are unconscious and hidden. Diversity programs and training might not work as expected. And good intentions are often inadequate. That's why we're always working to improve in this area and welcome an open dialogue. Email us anytime at email@example.com to help us be a better equal opportunity employer.
We receive 100s of applications for each position here at WP Buffs. Help yours stand out from the crowd with some advice from Kyle, Joe and Christie: How to effectively get hired in the WordPress space
If you're confident you can excel in this position, follow these instructions!
Email us the following answers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use the subject line: Editor in Chief: Your Full Name
- Who are you?
- What's your favorite post from the WP Buffs blog and why?
- What was your last big adventure?
- What's your next big adventure?
- Where in the world are you?
- What experience do you have in the WordPress community?
- Did you first find this website on wpbuffs.com or an external site? If the latter, which website?
- Did someone suggest you should apply for this position? If so, what's that person's name and email address? They'll earn a $1,000 finders fee!
- What's your preferred salary / hourly rate?
- What's one BIG issue with our blog that you could fix in your first week? This isn't a trick question and you won't hurt our feelings. We want to hire an EiC who wants to improve our content no matter what!
- How would you rate your comfort and skills with the following on a scale of: None, Not strong, Strong or Very strong
- English written communication
- English verbal communication
- WordPress dashboard
- Your network in the WordPress community
- We've listed several outcomes above that we'll expect someone on our customer success team to accomplish. For each of them, please describe in-detail a specific project you worked on that shows us you're going to rock that outcome for us. Bonus points for showing us data that proves the success of the project beyond anecdotal evidence (numbers, data, screenshots, etc). SUPER bonus points for recording a video (using something like Loom) to discuss this in detail.