WP Buffs business acquisition unit
Sell your WordPress website or business of 4- to 5-figure MRR for 1-1.5x yearly profits.
Care plan businesses
✔️ Baked-in systems and processes
✔️ Strong team that will be excited to join WP Buffs
✔️ Healthy profit margin
Care plans only
✔️ Consistent lead generation
✔️ Strong marketing engine with room for growth
✔️ Healthy profit margin
✔️ Solid technical infrastructure (or reseller arrangement)
✔️ Minimal support load
✔️ Healthy profit margin
WordPress blog or website
✔️ Target audience of WordPress professionals, power users, etc.
✔️ High-quality content (tutorials, guides, etc).
✔️ Solid traffic & domain authority
You've got questions. We've got answers.
🤝 Selling your WP business to WP Buffs FAQ
At the end of the day, WP Buffs is interested in purchasing businesses that compliment the rest of our portfolio.
The area we're strongest in is WordPress care plans. If you're interested in selling your entire care plan business or simply your care plan clients, definitely book an introductory call with Joe today.
We also love great WordPress content here at WP Buffs. If you run a WordPress blog that maintains strong content and drives revenue (through affiliate partnerships, sponsorships, etc) you're also probably a good fit to book an introductory call with Joe.
If you run an agency that does mostly one-time projects and doesn't manage or drive a significant percentage of monthly revenue from subscription services, we'd still love to chat and learn more about your business to see if it's a good fit! Again, book an introductory call with Joe.
Here's the exact process you can expect when working to transition your business under our care.
- Book an introductory call with Joe (our CEO). You'll answer a few questions while scheduling so Joe will have a pretty good idea if we're a good fit from a business and financial perspective before you even hop on a call.
- You'll join Joe on your informal call so Joe can ask clarifying questions about some of your answers and dig a bit deeper into your responses. Most importantly, 1) you and he will determine if you enjoy working together and both want to, together, go through the challenging process of an acquisition, and 2) Joe will answer any questions you have to make sure you're 100% confident WP Buffs will be a trusted new owner of your business (and potentially your clients).
- Once the initial call is finished, Joe will take his call notes to the rest of his acquisition team (COO Nick & CFO Ben) and make sure everyone (including you) thinks it's a good idea to move forward. If not, Joe. will email you and suggest other ways to work together if they apply (white-label, affiliate relationship, etc). If so, we'll start taking next steps.
- Ben will send you an NDA to sign before we move forward. This will protect your financial data as well as prevent sharing of any private data of both parties involved.
- Ben and Nick will do their due-diligence, which will involve allowing them full access to the appropriate software, financials, etc to make sure everything is in-line with the facts we've been presented previously during this process.
- Once Joe, Nick, Ben and you all agree to formally move forward, Joe will send you a final offer and business sale contract. Most final offers fall within a 1x-1.5x multiplier of yearly profit. This usually entails an initial payout with the remainder paid out within 2-3 months. The offer and contract will usually be dependent on agreeing to a payout schedule, to share financial responsibility of clients who churn shortly after the acquisition, to work with us in the transition plan, to help when necessary with any official announcement plan, etc.
- You'll sign the contract, receive your initial payout and we'll work together on the transition. Teamwork makes the dream work!
This entire process historically takes 8-12 weeks. It can be quicker for smaller deals or longer for bigger ones but expect to spend a 2-3 months communicating with us to see this deal come to fruition and 1-2 months supporting the transition.
Most final offers fall within a 1x-1.5x multiplier of yearly profit. This usually entails an initial payout with the remainder paid out within 2-3 months.
This calculation of profits is done after any owner payouts, not before.
The offer and contract will usually be dependent on agreeing to a payout schedule, to share financial responsibility of clients who churn shortly after the acquisition, to work with us in the transition plan, to help when necessary with any official announcement plan, etc.
Some deals are worth less and some more, but this is most likely what you can expect with regards to a final offer.
Ex: If your business made $20,000 of profit over the last 12 months after any owner payouts, you can expect a final offer of $20,000-$30,000 (barring anything that significantly increases or decreases the worth of your business).
This entire process traditionally takes 8-12 weeks. It can be quicker for smaller deals or longer for bigger ones but expect to spend a 2-3 months communicating with us to see this deal come to fruition and 1-2 months supporting the transition.
The 2-3 months of initial calls, due diligence and offer negotiations will be a busy time for both the acquiring party (WP Buffs) and the selling party (you).
The same goes for the 2-3 months after contracts have been signed, the sale is final and the transition work is being executed.
Our acquisition team at WP Buffs works extremely hard to make this an efficient and effective process for everybody involved and we expect the same from you. That means:
- fully reading and replying to all emails in a timely manner
- providing organized and accurate documents or data when asked
- tell us what your actual numbers are, including sales numbers, itemized costs, subscription metrics, etc (after an NDA is signed to protect your data, of course)
- understanding a slower process is sometimes needed around holidays, team time off, etc
- taking full responsibility over your post-acquisition task list (login credential handover, write up blog post, write email copy for your current clients, Stripe customer migration, etc)
In general, being easy to work with and making our lives easier will result in the best possible outcome for all parties involved.
Not quite ready to sell your business and just starting to think about it? No sweat! A lot of folks are in your same boat and you should never feel any pressure to sell if you don't think it's the right time.
If you think selling your business in the future is a possibility, here are a few options for you:
- Book an introductory call with Joe today anyway. He won't pressure you into an awkward position, but instead give you some pointers and advice on how to set up your business for a lucrative sale in the future, whether that's to WP Buffs or not.
- Bookmark this page so you can come back to it in the future when you want to have a more serious conversation about selling your business.
- Join Jeff and Cory (former CEO of iThemes) at Business Value Academy, where they'll help you build a business that's ready to sell (if and when the time comes).
The business you've put so much hard work into will be in great hands.
And more importantly, so will your clients.
Who we are
WP Buffs is a diverse team solving a diverse set of WordPress challenges. We work 100% remotely from every time zone.
What we do
To create unforgettable experiences that positively impact every community we connect with.
We allow you to make bold decisions when it comes to your website without hesitating due to technical restraints.
Our North Star, practiced and pursued daily.
Our promise to our customers, partners and ourselves.
Practice radical transparency
You’re unapologetically yourself and honest, maybe to a fault. You give honest and sincere feedback and love when people are honest with you, whether it’s an easy or difficult conversation.
Make decisions and own them
When decisions are made, you are all in. Nothing will keep you from accomplishing your individual and team goals. Furthermore, you make them your personal mission because it’s the right thing to do.
Take customer-focused action
Every decision or action we take as a team has our customers and partners in mind. Our goal is to help them accomplish theirs, so living and dying by our customers’ success is a requirement.
Exceptional results, on-time
We take everything to the next level. Average and late work won’t be tolerated here. If doing big things and racing to the finish line gets you pumped up, you’re in the right place.
Lead by example
Nobody at WP Buffs sits on their high horse and expects others to do the work. We all get our hands dirty and no matter your position, you’ll be instrumental in the work we do.
Always have each others' backs
We’re a family here at WP Buffs and that means creating an environment of trust. Have the backs of your fellow Buffs and they’ll have yours. Together, we’ll win the day. It’s just that easy.